Tuesday 19 April 2016

Villa O'Higgins

As mentioned, we walked into Villa O’Higgins from the boat dock. It is a tiny town at the end of a long road- Ruta 7. Many people traveling what is known as the Carretera Austral bike route either begin or end their journey in Villa O’Higgins. It was the kind of town we needed to take a break in- removed from technology, walkable, and full of friendly people. We had also shipped a trunk there,to a friend of a friend (of course) named Marcela who we had been keeping in contact with since before the start of our journey.

A view from the porch where we stayed
We found a hostel/campground at the end of town and promptly showered and cooked up some dinner. The hostel owner, Fili, knew Marcela, and gave her a call. We were eating dinner when Marcela stopped by, her kindness was even more palpable in person and we talked for a bit and then agreed to stop by her house the next day.

Marcela paints in her shop
After a solid night's sleep and some more food, we walked the few blocks across town to Marcela’s house and found her working in her shop/studio. Talking with her, even though I couldn’t completely understand her words (because of the spanish), was a breath of fresh air to me. I couldn’t place why, but I felt at home in her presence. Marcela and her partner Rodrigo are two of the most genuine people I have met, having found their place in life while continuing to strive for what they believe in. Marcela’s a beautiful artist in her paintings, and she has a small studio/shop in Villa O'Higgins for tourists. Rodrigo’s art is in his music, which he also teaches. Hearing their stories about finding their passions refueled my creative side, and I look forward to working on some of my own art pieces when our season is over down here. I am forever grateful for their kindness and hospitality.

Time for Once's!
Over the next few days, we ate, slept, relaxed, and socialized. Villa O’Higgins became a home away from home as we rested and planned the next section of our trek. Everyone in town was connected, so all we had to do was ask Marcela or Fili where how to get something done, and they’d send us to the address with a name and objective. When one is on foot, small towns are the best.

Some evening music
The days passed quickly and before we knew it, we had been in Villa for nearly a week! As we prepared to leave, we stopped by Marcela and Rodrigo’s for one last goodbye….and ended up staying another day. It’s amazing how quickly certain people can finagle their way into your lives so deeply. We shared many a tea around their small table, and talked into the night with them and other new friends. 
Another meal, in the park this time

  A day later Marcela, Rodrigo, and their son joined us on our walk through town, and opened the gate for us to leave on the trail. We all hugged tightly before dispersing, Fidgit and I towards Cochrane, the other three returning to their house. Tears flowed freely down my cheeks, a deep feeling of loss creating a pit in my being. Villa O’Higgins and many of the people there have a stronghold on my heart, and I know I’ll return someday. For now, ever northward.

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, very kind, inspirational, like sugar in my coffee.
    I wonder if there's a site where I can see your progress on a map? I can glean from your posts approx. where you are from time to time, just would like to check in on your progress more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Querida...leer tu relato me trajo al alma aquellos momentos...
    siempre tendrás un espacio en nuestro "hogar/corazón"
    que tus pasos te lleven lejos, pero también de vuelta aquí!!
    un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes are filled and heart is hugged. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete